The Motorcycle license
Depending on your age there are 3 options:
- The stepped system, A1, A2 and then A (ages 18,20 and 22)
- Direct entry A2 en A (ages 22 or 24)
- The code 80 system (ages 21 to 24)
The stepped system
If you are younger than 24 years old you can start with the lightest category (A1) or with the middle category A2 (at 20 years). You will have to do a theory exam, a practical exam of vehicle control (AVB) and a practical exam for traffic participation (AVD). The intermediate steps are always at least 2 years after issuing the motorcycle license.
- Starter A1 (You are 17, 18 or 19 and not yet in possession of any motorcycle license). You can take lessons from age 17, but the exam can only be taken from age 18. You must be in possession of a valid theory certificate or a driving license B. The obtained driving license is valid for a motorcycle up to 11 kW and a three-wheeled motor vehicle with a maximum of 15 kW.
- Transfer to A2: lessons from age 19, exam from age 20 (if 2 years in possession of A1)
- Transfer to A: lessons and exam from age 22 (if 2 years in possession of A2)
When transferring from A1 to A2, only an AVD exam is required. After two years you can transfer from A2 to A. For this as well, only an AVD exam is required.
Forwarders or starters older than 24 and more than 2 years in possession of driving license A1 must do both AVB and AVD exam.
Direct entry (not yet in possession on any motorcycle license)
- Starter A2: You can take lessons and exams from age 20. Your motorcycle license (A2) is valid for a motorcycle up to 35 kW. All exams are required (theory, AVB and AVD).
- Starter A: You can take lessons and exams from age 24. Your motorcycle license is valid for a motorcycle with unlimited power. All exams are required (theory, AVB and AVD).
Motorcycle license with code 80
- Starter A with code 80. You can take lessons from age 21. The exam is done on a heavy motorcycle.
You will then receive the driving license A unlimited with a code 80, and the driving license A1 and A2.
Your motorcycle license is valid for a motorcycle with a maximum of 35 kW and a three-wheeled motor vehicle with unlimited power.
After 2 years you can apply for removal of the code 80 at your municipality, or when you turn 24 it will expire automatically.
All exams are required (theory, AVB and AVD).